Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mi Familia, Famiglia, Famille...

When Cam and I first met I would tell him stories of my "crazy" family or AKA my mom's side. For those of you who have met me family we aren't crazy we just like to have a good time. We can be loud at times but the room is usually filled with laughter and smiles.

The first time Cam met my family was on Christmas Eve. OK I think back on it now and it probably was a lot of women for him to meet all at once. As he describes it, "I've never been given hugs or kisses by people I had just met for the first time". For me this is a normal thing, you greet everyone in the room when you get there with a hug and kiss and when you leave it is the same thing. Now Cam thinks it is wierd if one of my little cousins doesn't give hugs or kisses when they get there.

During our dating years whenever Cam came to town there was always family parties. My extended family lives very close to my parents house so it was always a quick 10 minute drive. So growing up there was always time spent with cousins, aunts, uncles and my grandparents.

We have so many memories with our family...Cabo Trips, birthday parties (especially the Twin's 1st Birthday Party) if you were there you will understand why it was so memorable, Uncle Nick's 60th Birthday Party, 21st birthday parties and weddings are just a few memories that come to mind.

So as the cousins grew up things started changing. My cousin Nickie moved to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in '96. We were all shocked and missed her during family gatherings (we still miss her). Cam and I sure enjoyed visiting the family down there during spring breaks. Then Cam and I made the big move to AK in '05. My Auntie Grace and Uncle Silver moved to England shortly after we moved. And my cousin Mary moved to Texas over a year ago. Our family is changing. When Cam and I got enganged and we called all my relatives the first question they would ask is, "Where are you going to live?"

Whenever anyone is home to Washington a gathering is arranged and we are all together, always missing someone though. The last time all the cousins were together was over 4 years ago. My cousin Theresa and I keep talking about planning a family reunion. It's going to happen one of these days.

The family keeps growing...we have 9 great grandkids in the family with 1 more due any day now. We are all married now...except for my brother but he is the baby of the family.

Who knew our family would be going in all different directions? Cam and I miss them dearly and think of them often. We know we will be back in WA some day. I know that when we start to have children we want them to at least know their family and hopefully have the relationship that I had with my cousins, aunts and uncles. Thank goodness for email, facebook, myspace...

To my family if you are reading this we love and miss you all...XOXO

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your family sounds like how it is for my kids now. We are very loud and have a lot of fun. I hope all the Sotutu cousins remember their childhood and family times as fondly as you do.

The Aboy/Caldejon family said...

Hi! My memory must be real horrible because I'm not sure what happened at the twin's 1st birthday party. Can you enlighten me?!