Thursday, October 15, 2009

6 Weeks and Counting...

So we have 6 more weeks to go...I left Nome this morning, heading to Kent. Cam will follow in a couple of more weeks.

So as I was preparing to leave everyone was asking me do you have everything you need for the baby? Well what does a new baby and parents need? When we were down in Seattle for a visit in August I took Cam to Babies R Us and boy did he get overwhelmed! Do you really need all that "stuff"? I have gone to rummage sales in Nome or run into people that have just had kids and they tell me, "We have this for sale my baby is no longer using it. Do you want to buy it?"

So I ask what do we need as new parents? I know that we will need a car seat...they won't let you leave the hopsital in WA without one. I have a bassinett in Nome and in WA so we are set there for at least a couple of months until we decide/find a crib that we like. I only want essential things...I am determined that our house will not become over run with plastic :)

2 comments:

Denise Opsahl said...

I'll send you my 'baby must have' list but, as you know, my house is one giant plastic Toys R Us :) Can't believe you only have 6 more weeks!!!

The Rudstroms said...

Well, I'm glad you're sensible and thinking about this. So many people are so over the top about baby/toddler supplies. We lived with as little as possible and am happy we did. It's costs less, keeps the house looking like yours instead of overrun with your child's stuff.

Must haves:
1)Love the fisher price booster chair from Target.com. It straps onto your existing chairs and takes up so much less space than a high chair. We would remove it if we had people over after Harold was in bed.

2) A sling instead of a stroller. Who wants to pack a stroller on an airplane, into a store or a restaurant. What a pain in the butt!!! A sling is so handy. Baby is close to you, both hand are still free and it will fit on your purse when you don't need it.

3) We limit toys to 2 rubbermaid totes. After that, I thin it out and give them away to other kids.

4) We bought a 3 in one crib. It's a crib, then turns into a toddler bed, with our without a side rail.

Beyond that, what do you really need? Food, clothes and diapers I guess. Keep it simple and you will be much happier.

Enjoy Seattle! Can't wait to meet the new baby.
--AnnMarie